SHILOH BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY 1898 - 2016
118 YEARS OF MINISTRY SERVICE
The Shiloh Baptist Church had a very humble beginning. A small band of “believers” resided in a remote, wooded and farmland area of Baltimore County in a section now known as Edgemere. These dedicated believers had a fervent desire to establish a place of worship. Rev. and Sis. Crooms were among this group of believers; and through the Divine guidance of the Almighty, they opened their home as a temporary meeting place for this band of Christians. As they continued in prayer and supplication, God blessed their efforts. Thus, in the year of 1898 at 2515 Sycamore Ave, the home of Rev. and Sis. Crooms, the Shiloh Baptist Church was founded.
God in His provincial care placed a White landowner in Edgemere who in the year 1912, benevolently deeded to the Shiloh Baptist Church a plot of land located on the corner of Sparrows Point Road and Sycamore Avenue. The first sanctuary that was built on this lot was a one room log cabin. Later, after much prayer, labor and sacrifice, the membership was able to build a frame church.
The Church grew under the leadership of several ministers: Rev. Eubank, Rev. Bryant, Rev. Parker, Rev. Cunningham, Rev. Clark, Rev. Wilkerson (Overseer), Rev. Gregory (Assistant). In 1935, prayers were once again answered when God sent through Rev. Wilkerson, one of the giants, Rev. Jennings, to Edgemere. Rev. Jennings had God-given talent for leadership and preaching the word. However just as outstanding in Kingdom building were the lesson he taught by his examples in all aspects of Christian living. His love of God and humanity was exemplified in the Church and the community. Under Rev. Jennings leadership the Church grew in spite of the problems with the physical structure. Through prayer, hard work and many personal sacrifices, a brick structure was finally erected in the year 1941.
In the early part of 1963 Pastor Jennings’ health began to fail, and he was officially retired from active leadership but continued to serve in an advisory capacity. In July 1963, Rev Richard Tabron of Zion Baptist Church became the pastor of the Shiloh Baptist Church. Rev. Tabron was young, vibrant, full of the Holy Spirit, and determined to do God’s will. In October of 1963, Rev. Jennings was called to his eternal home. Pastor Jennings had served Shiloh for 28 years. In 1964 under the leadership of Rev. Tabron a major renovation to the church edifice took place. We now had a “new” old building. In july of 1983 after serving Shiloh faithfully for 20 years. Rev. Tabron in obedience to Divine guidance resigned as Pastor.
In January 1984, Rev. Thomas Teal, an earnest and dedicated servant of God from Timothy Baptist Church, accepted the call to be pastor of the Shiloh Baptist Church. His labor of love produced among many other things uncreased membership, formation of a mass choir and the acquisition of the Thomas B. Teal Christian Education Center. On July 26, 1985, after a brief but very faithful tenure, Pastor Teal was called from labor to reward.
In April of 1986, Rev. Heber M. Brown, Jr. an associate minister of the New Psalmist Baptist Church, accepted the call to be pastor of the Shiloh Baptist Church and was officially installed on July 27, 1986. Pastor Brown’s impact on the advancement of the church has been phenomenal. Membership has steadily increased. Discipleship and Stewardship classes, Youth Ministry, Young Adult Ministry, Mass Media Ministry and Community Outreach have all been effectively initiated under the leadership of Pastor Brown, an energetic, powerful and exuberant visionary who is full of the Spirit of God.
In April of 1997, eleven years after being called to Shiloh and after much prayer, struggle and sacrifice, Pastor Brown’s vision became a reality when he and the people of God marched into a brand new sanctuary!! TO GOD BE THE GLORY FOR THE GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE!
The members of Shiloh have a very spiritually rich heritage. Through faith and by God’s grace, Shiloh will continue to grow as we reach out and compel men to come to Christ.